Sunday, March 8, 2009

Auto Bid Alert: NORTHERN IOWA

I'm still too bitter about finding out that I live in North Carolina to give much of a report on the MVC championship game, which Northern Iowa won in an overtime squeaker, 60-57.

In the end, it came down to a duel between two all-name team nominee backcourt tandems: Illinois State's Osiris Eldridge and Chamberlain "Champ" Oguchi, and Northern Iowa's aforementioned Kwadzo Ahelegbe and Ali Farokhmanesh. (I'm not making this up, I swear.) Ahelegbe dominated the first half, Eldridge the second, and then Oguchi and Farokhmanesh traded blows in the overtime period, with Farokhmanesh's 2 three-pointers and 2 free throws down the stretch making the difference.

With an RPI of 68, the Panthers are looking like a 13 seed.

2 comments:

  1. The best part was down the stretch, Dick Enberg simply gave up announcing the player's name. Instead of "Farokhmanesh taking it inside," it was utter silence.

    With Maryland, VT, and Miami (Fla) all finishing with sub-.500 records in the ACC, I see only six from the ACC. PROVY has GOT to make it in as an at-large now. If they win on Wednesday against Cincy, they should have a better chance than any 7th ACC team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be posting a bubble analysis in the morning, but I think Providence is lean in. A second round Big East tourney win should seal it.

    ReplyDelete